With nine weeks, and the task of designing and building a chair from scratch, I set forth to create something unique, while also trying to push the limits of the allotted time and materials. With one hardwood maple slab at six by two feet wide allowed for the base, all materials had to be laid out carefully, and intentionally in order to be as efficient as possible.
One of my first projects which was brought to a finished state, This chess set was created with another student. We had to design a board that changed a major aspect of the game while keeping the rules as close to the original as possible. We decided after researching how people play, that we wanted to increase focus throughout the game. We then moved forward with the idea of making the board have negative repercussions for those who lost concentration throughout the game. By adding the "stilts", and a rule where if you accidently knock off your own piece due to either poor placement, or because you bumped it, you then lost that piece.
The second aspect of the game which we wanted to portray was the idea that chess is a war game, and we wanted to show the process of this battle taking place instead of simply removing the pieces from the board. This added a second reason for the stilts, and heavily influenced the aesthetic of the pieces, the board, and how the game was played.
Definition of Beauty
Tasked with defining my own sense of beauty through the design of a vase, I sketched, modeled, photographed, and used photoshop to place the final design into several spaces. This was a fast project completed over a few days, and was meant only as an exercise for my own benefit.
While studying abroad in Milan, Italy I was paired with two architecture students from Mexico, and given a project where we had to choose a market segment (clothing retailer), find an existing location within the city, and modify said space to accomodate a new business model.
As the only student of the three with any experience in the adobe creative suite, I tackled all of the graphic design and branding. This was highly experimental for me, and was a vast learning experience.
We decided to use a handwritten style for the major theme which would then be paired with Gill Sans for any typed documents. All content also had to be produced by the team, and this showed me a new level of being thorough in my work, and taught me how to plan out time better. I credit this project with turning me into the detail oriented designer I am today.
We soon realized through many iterations that the strongest feature of these floats was in the fabric itself. We then decided to push forward and create the most interesting floats, which let enough light through, and created the most interesting effect.
Here the tacked area can be clearly seen as the darker area in the middle. The spaces on either side were to have tubes inserted. These would serve as structure, and also a home for the bulb as well.
We set out to explore the idea of using a double cloth to create "tubes" within the fabric in order to wrap it around a structure. The use of a double cloth enables two layers of fabric to be woven simultaneously, and can be tacked together in certain area to define spaces.
When we tried to model the initial idea in a larger scale, while also incorporating a textiles aspect, it did not have the same effect. We then took the idea of weaving around the tube further eventually leading us to our final concept.
Initial exploration lead us down a unique path with an interesting aesthetic.
Designed with a group for an ergonomics competition, Zvono was aimed to muffle surrounding distractions visually and audibly. This was tested through multiple iterations of "big ugly" models in order to help define the seating position, table, and varying other elements. Model built in Solid works, and renderings done in keyshot.
User testing round 3
User testing round 2
User testing model round 1
Footprint 3d is a footwear startup co-founded by myself and two other Industrial Designers; Matt Flail, and Tim Ganter. Since our inception we have been prototyping footwear with a focus in 3d printing, in order to offer a mass customized business model. We have raised 40k to date, and will continue to develop our own line of footwear, with hopes of becoming the best fitting footwear brand.
Dec 2015 Autodesk University Presentation
Dec 2016 selected/presented at Fashionvest
Feb 2017 Presented Macy's Philadelphia Fashion Incubator
Dec 2015-present Partnership with Lenovo
short clip of our scanning process in Lenovo Thinkrev promo reel
While in my senior year of school, I started to teach myself about pattern making, as well as the different construction methods used in all types of footwear. Deconstruction, reconstruction, and fast experimentation gave me a solid foundation from which I could build upon.
FDM prints offer quick and cheap models, which we then use to make modifications to the files, and send out for SLS printing.
We have tested a wide range of different SLS materials.
After using experimental 3d printed lasts, we finally decided to get our own last developed to our specific needs. We were with a footwear developer out of Washington to get samples, and make sure everything was specific to our needs. This then enabled us to start making wearable prototypes.
Exploring the possibilities in flatbed knitting, I took classes to learn programming in M1 Plus for Stoll knitting machines. We worked with a developer to get a small batch of samples to experiment with.
As my shoe making skills develop, I am able to create more accurate, and better looking models.
Another avenue we have been exploring, are sole swaps using existing designs. We remove the midsole, and add small details almost as if we were doing a collaboration with the brand. This is mostly for experimentation at the moment.
A random assortment of drawings, which use a variety of media including marker, pen, pencil, and pastel.